Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Finish cuts: how lite?

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:53:52 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

I have observed that it is possible to take too lite of a finish cut, in
both side milling and face milling, and in turning.
I've forgotten the exact scenario, but something like .002-005 was too lite,
and .015-.020 seemed to have been much better.

Im afraid there are no cut and dried answers to this one.

It largely depends on material, cutter type and material, rake, relief
and so forth. As well as machine rigidity, vibration, rpm etc etc

HSS "properly ground" will allow you to more often make a .0005
cut..than will carbide in more materials than will carbide. YMMV

And it depends on what finish you want..a 16 or an 8 G

Based on my interaction in machine shops..one has to experiement a
bit..or be a really experienced machinist who has used the particular
machine and material combo before.

Shrug

Gunner, waiting for the flames