Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Southerwood Tim Southerwood is offline

Default What Peter Parry said & Noise reduction

coughed up some electrons that declared:

In this actual case, none of the doors are fire doors, just el cheapo B&Q
jobbies.

Several times when I've talked through with friends (that are about to
move) about the house (or particularly flat) they're thinking of
buying, they seem to have a complete disregard for physical fire
protection - even when it's pointed out to them.

Even the ones that are over-protective of their children and very risk-
averse, don't seem to think fire doors and compartments as an
essential if they're living in close proximity to other flats.

It's human nature. When I had my flat and was living as a bachelor, I found
the self closing hinges on *every* internal door (except cupboards and
bathroom) to be a right royal pain, so I took the setting pins out.
Previous owner had been in the habit of wedging most of the doors open.
However, I am exceptionally paranoid about turning stuff off and not
allowing wall warts or equipment to get buried under cushions or stacks of
paper, so I mitigated my own risk in different ways.

Rightly or wrongly that's what people do. I gave the pins in a little bag
to the next owner.

The best solution IMO is self closers held open with a mag catch linked to a
fire alarm system, but that's proably a bit expensive for most people in a
domestic setting.

Maybe the message about smoke alarms has been too loud - to the point
of many people trusting one bit of technology to the exclusion of
being concerned about any need for fire-resisting and fire-limiting
buildings (and the need to not over-stuff their own house or flat with
junk to the point of it being a ready-made bonfire).

Not so sure - I still see many houses with no or very poor fire alarm
arrangements.

Cheers

Tim