Posted to misc.consumers.house
[email protected] mail3277198@gorillaswithdirtyarmpits.com is offline

Default soffit over corner cabinet?

On Aug 11, 8:06 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:
"Rick Blaine" wrote in message

... "John Grabowski" wrote:

Personally I would forget about the soffit and install lights on top of
the
cabinets instead. I did that for a few customers and it looks good and
makes a good night light.

Rope lighting on the top and zenon puck licks underneath, both on a dimmer
will
make any kitchen look amazing...

Agreed that open above makes the kitchen look bigger. And a sofitt taller
than it is wide will look wrong to most people. But keep in mind you now
have a horizontal surface 7+ feet above ground. People WILL try to use it
for storage, and women, who tend to be shorter, will shy away because they
are the ones that usually get stuck doing the dusting.

I'd also look at maybe an 18x18 floating soffit, with indirect lighting in
the top of that. If the top surface is over 8 feet, people won't try to
store stuff on it. Taller upper cabinets with an extra shelf might be
indicated. Hard to say without seeing the space, the windows, and how it
flows into the rest of the house. This is an expensive remodel- maybe a
consult with an actual designer would be worthwhile (one that isn't paid on
commission for pushing what their employer sells.)

aem sends....

You need to shop at Home Depot!

www.tawny-kitaen.com