Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris Jones Chris Jones is offline

Default Yet more on lead-free solder

Eeyore wrote:

N Cook wrote:

For those repairing stuff made before 2006 what is the method to best
remove the tinning from the leads from modern replacements before using ?

I think if you dip the tin-plated wires in a sufficiently large quantity of
sufficiently hot SnPb solder, that should mix pretty well with any tin
plating that is already on the wires. The problem, as highlighted on the
NASA pages is that you have to dip all the way up to the component body if
you want to stop the tin whiskers, and that could damage metal-glass seals
etc. as normally the soldering temperature is not supposed to be applied
too close to the component body.

The distinguishing feature is that its much harder to abraid with a nail
file/sandpaper than tradional Pb/Sn "tinning". It is one of my personal
quirks to abraid all components ,ICs,trannies,R,Cs etc before soldering,
as rarely new stock replacements.

The Commission naturally expected you to destroy all your old stock.

Of course, because that's how we save the environment, by creating extra
waste and then manufacturing things we didn't need to.

That's why the WEEE was brought in after the RoHS, so that all of the old
component stocks could all be landfilled or burned, while the component
distributors rubbed their hands together with glee in anticipation of the
new orders.

Chris