Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] brucedpaige@gmail.com is offline

Default Sleeving a barrel

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 15:44:10 GMT, gspaff wrote:

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 21:51:35 +0700, wrote:

When I was working in a gunsmith shop in Shreveport we occasionally
relined a .22 cal barrel. We bored out the existing barrel and soft
soldered in a liner. Then chambered the liner so essentially the
barrel was a two part .22 cal barrel.

As an aside, these were usually fairly old, and possibly collectable,
.22 rifles, usually Winchester pump guns, as I remember.

The big secret was to fit it up well and use the right flux for the
solder.

If you are putting an outer sleeve on the barrel then that is a
different story. I used to build single shot "varmint rifles" in my
spare time and (it was been a long time ago) made the barrels the same
diameter as the action at the butt end and tapered them just enough
that they didn't look like a straight cylinder. Usually 22-250 and
used to guarantee MOA or better.

I'm long out of the trade but if you are looking for accuracy you
might look at the system of sleeving the barrel just forward of the
action and bedding that area with the rest of the metal free floating.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Thank you for your thoughts Bruce. I'm talking about sleeving the
outside of a brand new barrel. It's an experiment for me so I'm
digging around for ideas.

The barrel will be free floated without anything touching it.

Back in my day we used to glass the receiver and a short section of
the of the barrel, where it screwed into the receiver. The rest of
the barrel was very loosely fitted to the stock. It seemed to work
pretty well but some recent reading implies there is a better method.
You sleeve the barrel for about four inches, it looks like, at the
forward end of the receiver and glass ONLY that portion into the
stock. The gus is held together by bolts threaded into the sleeve and
the normal receiver bolts do not seem to be used at all. Try
http://riflestocks.tripod.com/bedding.html for more detail.

The idea seems to have merit as stocks do change dimensions with
changes in temperature and humidity so this single point bedding might
very well do a better job in isolating the action and barrel from the
stock.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)