Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Chicago Ants

on 8/11/2007 4:20 PM said the following:
Hi!

I live in Chicago and just stumbled upon some sort of really small red
ants. It turns out that it bit me and felt like a sting. I did some
research on 'fireants', and I read that they can't survive/live in
Chicago.

I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on what could have stung
me!

Thanks!
Mike

The "Fire Ants" most of us think of is the S American fire ant that has
migrated into the southern US. However, there is another fire ant that
can exist in the northern US, and that is the European Fire Ant (Myrmica
rubra). Like its southern counterpart, it can sting.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY