Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Sleeving a barrel

gspaff wrote:

I'd like to experiment with sleeving a rifle barrel both for looks, to
add weight and rigidity as well. My thought was to use an epoxy
filler between the original barrel and a piece of heat treated 4130
tube. Firing will not be rapid so I'm not worried about heat
dissipation.

Heat treating doesn't make it stiffer if I've learned anything from this
list.

DAGS:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...cb2b037055a954

Yup, heat treat is a waste of time.

They sell some steel reinforced epoxy in 1# cans or larger. I heavily
relieved portions of my garand stock in the action area and filled it with
this type of epoxy. Can't remember where I learned this. Maybe Walt
Kuleck's book on the garand.

Wes