Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.boats,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.sport.nascar,neworleans.general
terry terry is offline

Default SURPRISED?: New report shows epidemic of shoddy illegal-alien-built homes hitting USA hard!

On Aug 11, 10:16 am, wrote:
On Aug 10, 2:59 pm, Wayne.B wrote:

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:09:56 -0400, wrote:
Mexicans usually did better work
that the anglo drunks who showed up for these jobs.

You bet.

Yup, I have worked with illegals in my time, they will do exactly what
they are told to do, will work as well as the boss tells them to. Also
worked with a all American crew, we had the drunk, the junkie, and a
total asshole for a boss that would not let us take the time to even
line stuff up right. It made me sick, I actually quit cause I could
not let my name be associated with the crew. Funny thing is this was
the "king tut" crew, in a prestigeous, white, neighborhood, just
outside NYC.
I asked a hispanic co-worker one time why he ran so fast all day. His
answer changed my thinking forever, I was about 19. He looked at me
and said in very broken english, "you can go out any day and get a
job. I have only been here 1 year and don't speak well yet, I have
three kids and a wife, and do not want to go out job hunting again, I
will just work hard here and keep this job." Honestly, I am sure he
was legal, we were both in the union, huge grocery chain, but that has
also been the attitude of most of the illegal's and qustionables I
have worked with in my lifetime too.

This is really a political discussion thread about immigration; legal
or otherwise.
We can probably all come up with good/bad examples; coloured somewhat
by our political (and sometimes not well thought out) prejudices!
As an immigrant myself some 50+ years ago, when post-war North America
was 'looking for' immigrants and places such as Australia and New
Zealand were paying passage for whole immigrant families (I could'a
gone there and been paid to do so! Maybe it would have been a better
choice?), I offer the following comment.
Immigrants have to prove themselves; they are either coming from less
fortunate circumstances or have just the pride of surviving and
'making it', to themselves and others, in this new society.
For example: Many years later I met the Chinese guy who used to wash
my shirts on the bottom floor of his house, back in 1958. He by then
owned several buildings including a restaurant and provided employment
for quite a few people. His English still wasn't very good; but good
luck to him and his hard work.
Another; a young Greek man worked his way through a North American
Engineering degree, at a very menial job, then married here and
brought up a family. Today his daughter is one of the leading lights
at a major university!
After a few generations some of us get lazy and acquire the wrong
expectation that "The world owes us a living" just because we live in
a certain location or have a particular nationality.
That's BS. And as other parts of the world develop, India, China and
eventually perhaps Africa, we will all find out it's one planet and
its resources.
Just because, perhaps, someones grandparent plowed with oxen, or
picked tea by hand, does not mean they cannot be a smart, modern,
intelligent upstanding citizen of any country.
Maybe my descendants will emigrate to other parts of the world and
have to put up with the same changes and perhaps prejudices that we
immigrants have done so, more recently? I have some confidence they
will more than cope!
Good luck to us all; immigrant, descendant of immigrant, native
person, aboriginal peoples etc. OK?