Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tony Tony is offline

Default finally got it up

looks great!

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
My new shop gantry, that is. I need a hoisting machine that can go down
low
enough to roll into my shop through a regular garage door, or go up high
enough
to lift a tall machine into a pickup truck bed. I figured I'd design it
with two
ton capacity, even though I doubt I'll ever lift that much with it. It has
casters with a feature I like, which is swivel locking. Each caster has a
spring-loaded pin which if actuated, engages one of 4 slots to hold the
caster in a rigid locked position. In other words, they can swivel or they
can lock in any of 4 directions. Makes it easy to drive, and easy to keep
it from rolling.

It isn't a very good picture, and it's only an inexpensive 1-ton chainfall
hung on the trolley, but you'll be able to get the idea. The top beam is
8x18.5 steel
in good shape, you can still clearly read the manufacturer's name and heat
number stamped in the side. The whole thing is painted in Rustoleum rusty
brown primer.

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/gantry.jpg

It took me a disgustingly long time to get it finished, but now she's
ready to work.

GWE