Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Bumble bees under shed problem?

"Mal Jackson" wrote in message
.99...
Errm, anybody had any experience of ground nesting bees?

I'm clearing out, and demolishing, an old shed. On the floor was an old
door with a little hole in it where the bees live. I shifted the door, and
disturbed about 6 or so bees. Could there be a few hundred more further up
the shed?

Are they likely to just bugger off shortly or am I going to have to get
someone in to clear them out.

Any help appreciated.

Mal.

If you can spare the time, leave the rest of the demolishing for a few
weeks. When you see no more bees around the annual cycle will be complete
and there will be no living bees in the nest. If there are it will be so few
that their presence won't help the colony.

It's illegal to kill bumble bees so in theory you won't be able to get
anyone 'in' to do the job.

We removed a complete nest recently from underneath a demolished garage. The
colony is still in the box we put it in, in our garden, but it's not always
successful.

Mary