Posted to alt.home.repair
PCGumshoe PCGumshoe is offline

Default Lead Pipe won't give...

I've got two pipes that lead to and from a small size water heater in
my garage. The pipes coming out of the water heater are copper and
converge to lead. There is a 90 degree turn from the in/out's on the
water heater and I've been able to get the 3 foot section of lead pipe
unscrewed from the next 90 degree turn that bends into a 10" section
of pipe that is screwed into a "T" junction on the water lines. It is
this 10" section and 90 degree turn that I can't remove from the "T"
junction.

Looking at the lead pipe, there appears to be some sort of white paste
that was used on the pipe when the pipes were joined many years ago.
I've tried to torch to pipes to loosen them, but nothing. I'm using a
Pipe Wrench to try and remove the pipe...

I want to replace the pipe with less than 1" extension from the "T"
and make it CPVC to a 90 degree elbow on a new raised platform the
small water heater will be on.

Can anyone suggest how to "FREE" this pipe? Is this some sort of
bonding agent between the "T" join and the 10" pipe?

Thanks

BTW: The pipe is less than 1" thick, 10" is the length.