Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default finally got it up

Solid but overkill. And what's with the mauve paint?

Grant Erwin wrote:
My new shop gantry, that is. I need a hoisting machine that can go down low
enough to roll into my shop through a regular garage door, or go up high
enough
to lift a tall machine into a pickup truck bed. I figured I'd design it
with two
ton capacity, even though I doubt I'll ever lift that much with it. It
has casters with a feature I like, which is swivel locking. Each caster
has a spring-loaded pin which if actuated, engages one of 4 slots to
hold the caster in a rigid locked position. In other words, they can
swivel or they can lock in any of 4 directions. Makes it easy to drive,
and easy to keep it from rolling.

It isn't a very good picture, and it's only an inexpensive 1-ton
chainfall hung on the trolley, but you'll be able to get the idea. The
top beam is 8x18.5 steel
in good shape, you can still clearly read the manufacturer's name and
heat number stamped in the side. The whole thing is painted in Rustoleum
rusty brown primer.

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/gantry.jpg

It took me a disgustingly long time to get it finished, but now she's
ready to work.

GWE