Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Haar Robert Haar is offline

Default Electrical wiring

On 8/10/07 6:47 PM, "Chris Friesen" wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

I agree that it makes sense to wire a shop with 20A circuits for
receptacles. Just gives a bit of leeway if you plug in a couple things
onto one circuit.

Start off by looking at the power requirements of the tools that you are
likely to use. With the exception of a dust collector, you probably won't
run any of your tools at the same time.

20A circuits for standard 110v outlets is about right for a shop with
typical hand held power tools.

However, I think that wiring all the 240V circuits with #10 is overkill
given that it costs significantly more than #12. How many people have
5HP tools in their home shop? I have one 30A outlet for an electric
heater and a future welder. All the rest of my 240V outlets are 20A.

I do think it's a good idea for critical large items (compressor and
dust collector) get their own circuits. Most of the others (tablesaw,
planer, jointer, bandsaw) could realistically share a circuit or two in
a home shop since usually only one will be in use at any given time.

Some other suggestions:

Put your lights on a separate circuit. It's a pain when you pop a breaker
and the lights go out.

If you have large stationery tools, put in a dedicated circuit for each one.

Put in lots of outlet. One for every three to four feet of wall at a
minimum.

Think about where you might put benches, etc. It helps to have plenty of
outlets nearby, including some above the bench. I put all the outlets in my
shop four feet above the floor.