Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default One Tool, One Type of Turning, One Wood OR Keep Exploring?

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:27:52 GMT, "Maxprop" wrote:

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
Just for fun and to answer a question on spindle stock preparation, I took
the chain saw to a piece of birch and readied a piece for a potato masher
and then turned it. (The video is on my blog.) Whatever happened to
spindle turning? At the club most of the guys bring in faceplate stuff.
There is hardly a mallet or a gavel to be seen. I like to turn a variety
and while the Oland is my favorite tool for faceplate, where would I be
without a 1" skew or straight chisel for spindles. Never mind the oregano,
variety is the spice of life.

I don't turn a lot of spindlework, but I have done a number of maple
baseball bats recently. And I turned half a dozen belaying pins (an archaic
boating item) a while back. I do enjoy spindle turning, but enjoy facework
more. One of the quandaries I now face is my next lathe--should I buy a
long bed which will allow me to turn the occasional spindle, or buy a short
bed, or something like the Vega, which will make facework easier. The jury
is still out on that.

Max

My next lathe will be set up for outboard turning... best of both worlds, IMHO..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing