Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What Peter Parry said & Noise reduction

It won't be safe, although this has nothing to do with floor strength
or other minor points. The usual reason for avoiding Building
Regulations on converted lofts is because the conversion won't meet
fire safety standards. It's not unusual to find a completely
unprotected stairwell and an open plan kitchen/living room.

SNIP

Some very interesting points there Peter, thanks - I am a wiser man.

I looked at a job last week, in a loft conversion. Proper stairs went up
from the landing, solid wall one side, handrail the other side.

The stairs emerged roughly in the middle of the conversion. The stairwell
was 'boxed in' on three sides by a waist high solid partition. No door at
the bottom or top of the stairs.

The client said there was a terrible noise problem from this room (occupied
by teenager) & wanted me to either lift the floorboards & install insulation
or fit an insulated sub floor.

I turned the job down because IMO neither would solve the noise problem & I
didn't want to be in a situation where I'd charged for the work and not
sorted the problem. My thoughts were that the large opening on the stair
well was allowing the noise transmission & insulating the floor wouldn't
achieve much.

It now occurs to me that the room is a fire trap? Only escape via a Velux.
Is that the case?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman