Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Best way to saw 4x4 posts?

"George" wrote in message
. net...

"Leon" wrote in message
et...

With a square mark 3 lines on 3 sides of the post at the desired
location. with a circle saw cut through the first line full depth. Use
the saw kerf to guide the blade for the cut on the next side. Doing the
same on the third side, complete the cut.

Use a speed square to fence, tilt the saw base to bevel and cut round and
round. If a straight cut, still use the fence. If nothing else, it lets
you know where your off hand is.

I used to do this but since the all the of the fences that I build have top
rails across the tops of the posts the top must be flat. The problem I had
with using a speed square is that I cut full depth and the motor housing
hits the square. When cutting with the blade being horizontal, hand
location is not a problem, both hands are on the saw.