Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff Cliff is offline

Default Finish cuts: how lite?

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 13:47:51 -0400, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

Unless the material really needs a lot of rake to cut cleanly, I get my
nicest burnishing cuts with approximately zero back and side rake, a very
broad radius on the tool (I know; contrary to what I wrote above), a mirror
polish on its edge, and the finest feed I can set -- or endure.

A "burnished" surface may look pretty but you've just wiped/smeared
the high spots into the low ones, usually. Though you can also (with a
burnishing tool & the proper process & material) cause the high spots to
"flow" "downwards" & the low ones to flow up & fill in.
--
Cliff