Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Breaker size for Welder

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Charles wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
I am considering a 230v mig welder and need to add a circuit. The
input amperage for the welder is 20a. Should I install a 20 a breaker
or use a slighly larger capcity like 25 or 30 amps?

The size of the breaker must match the size of the wire. You can put a
50-A breaker on a #14 gage circuit, but might burn your structure down!

Welders are a special case. You can use a much larger breaker and much
smaller wire than on any other type of circuit, the particulars dependent
on the duty cycle of the welder.

Without more information, I'd guess that a 30A breaker and good old #12
Romex would be about right.

Can you document that? I can't believe #12 is ever allowed on a 30a
breaker.