Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Breaker size for Welder

wrote in message
ps.com...
I am considering a 230v mig welder and need to add a circuit. The
input amperage for the welder is 20a. Should I install a 20 a breaker
or use a slighly larger capcity like 25 or 30 amps?

If the welder is designed for a 20A circuit, there is absolutely no
advantage to increasing the breaker or receptacle size. If the run is long,
it may be advisable to increase the wire size. An oversized breaker will
only give you more opportunity to overload or damage the welder without the
breaker tripping, although breakers are not really intended to protect
connected equipment. Higher capacity than needed is not somehow magically
"better".

That said, it costs little more to install a higher capacity circuit if you
think you might need it in the future. I personally would probably install
#10 wire with a 20A breaker and receptacle. This could be easily upgraded to
a 30A circuit.

Don Young