Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default using hand tools to build a woodworking work bench instead of power tools

On Aug 9, 2:35 pm, rank beginner wrote:
Thanks for that link, Chris. I'm reading through it now.
You might be right. I may be better off at this stage
using a straightforward sheet of plywood for the top. Using
the 2 x4s are also a lot easier to work with at this point.
I'm going to give it some serious consideration.

Thanks again.

On Aug 9, 4:21 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:

rank beginner wrote:
I need to build a workbench (my first one) and have been looking at
some plans on the net and have
found these that are for what looks to be a nice one:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...219723.html?se...

If you've only got a hand-drill, that solid-wood top with the zillion
holes for the allthread is going to be a pain. Also, that style of
bench needs to be HEAVY or else it can move around.

For a first workbench, something like this might be more appropriate.
I'm actually just finishing up a version of this in my new garage.

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/art...xit/page2.html

My question is: the plans say "If you don't have a power miter saw or
radial-arm saw, guide your circular
saw..."

Well, what if you don't have even a circular saw?

Use a handsaw, as you suggested. Mark the line, cut to the line. It'll
likely take some practice to get good at it.

Alternately, borrow a power saw from a friend.

Chris- Hide quoted text -

The cost of a circular saw and a power drill will only be a fraction
of the cost of material going into even a small bench then you will
have them for future projects. A quality handsaw is a joy to use but
a manual drill gets old in a hurry.

Harry K