Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default using hand tools to build a woodworking work bench instead of power tools

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 12:38:25 -0700, rank beginner
wrote:

I need to build a workbench (my first one) and have been looking at
some plans on the net and have
found these that are for what looks to be a nice one:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...html?series=20

My question is: the plans say "If you don't have a power miter saw or
radial-arm saw, guide your circular
saw..."

Well, what if you don't have even a circular saw? I can't afford one
at this very moment, nonetheless need to
get building now, because I have other projects that need to get done
which themselves require a proper bench with vises. So I need to know
whether its feasible for me, someone just starting out (but with
mechanical aptitude), to attempt to use a regular hand saw for doing
the cross cuts on the construction-grade lumber (or maybe clear
hardwood, haven't decided yet). Or whether I should not even try. I'm
guessing getting straight cuts would be the major sticking point?? Or
is there something else to watch out for? Also, I only have a
traditional hand drill, no electric (yet). I figure this shouldn't be
a problem, the holes aren't huge and the plans call for ordinary lag
screws.

Thank you,

Chris

Ask this over in rec.woodworking. Lots of friendly folks there
roughly divided into two camps. Neanders (Neanderthals) who prefer
hand tools, and Normites (after Norm Abrams, host of New Yankee
Workshop) who use power tools for everything. You'll get lots of good
info on benches and building with hand tools. Also, do a google
groups search for bench or workbench (limit to rec.woodworking)
because the subject has been discussed in a million threads already.

Building a good bench with hand tools is a challenge, but you will be
proud of the result for many, many years. Go for it!

Paul F.