Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Scaffolding

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 17:33:25 -0400, willshak
wrote:

on 8/9/2007 5:24 PM mm said the following:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 14:25:31 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

I need some scaffolding. I need to get 16' or so in the air to put a
ceiling fan on a beam, and to install gutters.

Be sure to put the gutters on the outside and the fan on the inside.

Unless you live south of the equator.

I would need a total of six
end pieces and eight x braces. And some boards.

Approximately what does this stuff sell for used?

I have no idea, but unless the guy died or went out of business, or
came up with a better way, they're going to be selling only the worst
stuff they have. So check every weld for even small cracks. Maybe
this will give you an excuse to buy a welder.

And if he did die, the heirs will probably sell everything, not
knowing what is in great shape and what is cracking.

Why is it that you think everything for resale is no longer safe nor
worth buying?

I don't think that about everything.

But scaffolding has inherent risks that a lawn sprinkler doesn't have.

What if someone bought something for one use and sold it afterwards?

Certainly possible, and I'm glad you brought it up.

OTOH, be careful when people say things like that. If true, they have
only had the stuff for a short while and may not have noticed its
weaknesses. And it can be false, and then it's a story some people
use when they want to put as much distance as possible from their
knowing what shape the things they are selling are in.

Ever buy a used car?

That's all I buy. One car I bought from the owner's father, he said.
He said his son had been transferred to Kansas and didn't need a car
there. Say what? I think he should have said that he couldn't
afford a car that got such bad gas mileage in a big state where he
would have to do a lot of driving.

Another car I bought was registered to a rent-a-car company, I learned
later. Maybe that was why he went to the trouble of transferring the
title for me, so that I wouldn't see who the previous owner was until
the sale was TOTALLY completed. Actually, I think it's probably a
combination of what he said and what he didn't say. I think he got
incorporated as a rent-a-car company but the car I bought was only
used by his girlfriend (at least in recent months or years), and
probably not treated as badly as a real rent-a-car. He told me that
he owned but she drove it. And when I called her to see if she still
had the owners manual, she said she'd look for it. This was a week
after the sale, so no need to lie and I think she was telling the
truth.

I was still satisfied with each car because I don't cry over spilled
milk, and overall both cars were fine, and I assume I might have to
put 2000 dollars or more into repairing any car I buy. I had one opf
these two for over 100K and any problems the other had had nothing to
do with who drove it or how. But the owners were still misleading.

BTW, they volunteered the stuff I say they said. I ask sellers either
few or no questions because I don't want to put them in an awkward
position and possibly make liars out of them, and before I buy it or
not I don't want to be confused by statements that might be true but
might be false, and after I buy it, I don't be angry at the seller for
having lied to me.