Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wooden instrument cases designed to absorb moisture & prevent rust

On Aug 9, 6:56 am, LowEnergyParticle wrote:
Jim, JT, and Charlie,

Thank you all very much! I'm going to treat the wooden-box-as-rust-
preventer story as hogwash and finish boxes inside and out with
polyurethane. Furthermore, since I live down on the Gulf Coast near
Houston, where humidity sometimes presents a small problem, I'm going
to buy a case of those small cans of reheatable dessicant and clip one
inside every box.

Thanks very much for the help.
Dave

Dave, if you use beware of those which contain acids...oak comes to
mind immediately.

I also would strongly recommend using acid free felt or the proper
foam. In particular, I HATE foam that rots and corrodes fine tools.

I also note that if you use dessicant, make sure it does not lie next
to the metal tool. I have had dessicants become saturated and corrode
the very tools that they are supposed to protect.

TMT