Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook Wayne Cook is offline

Default more on mini-excavator bucket tooth

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 17:20:19 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

My father-in-law asked me to make up a shank to replace the one on his
Kubota tractor's backhoe attachment bucket. The tooth had come off years
ago and the stub had worn down. The shank which we cut off was high-carbon
steel, about 3/4 x 3/4". The tooth opening was 3/4 x 1/2" so we made up
a shank that size from mild steel.

Bent like cooked spaghetti.

I'm assuming to get steel that resists bending much more, I'll have to use
some kind of tool steel.

Any suggestions? In my shop I have A-2, A-6, O-1, O-2, and S-7.

Get a shank from the dealer. The shanks and teeth are one of the
most affordable parts available for backhoes (when compared to pins
and bushings).