Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Scaffolding

SteveB wrote:

I need some scaffolding. I need to get 16' or so in the air to put a
ceiling fan on a beam, and to install gutters. I would need a total of six
end pieces and eight x braces. And some boards.

Approximately what does this stuff sell for used?

Steve

Depends on how used it is, which duty version it is and whether you get
the good Alumaplanks. Call around to your area ladder and scaffold
places to see what they might have available. Availability used is
variable, usually better after some area giant construction rental use
is over and they have too much to just keep in the rental inventory.

I got the light duty version which is plenty for any normal use, 6' high
x 4' wide end frames (8), the 7' cross braces (16), leveling feet (8),
7' Alumaplanks (4) and guardrail posts / rails for one 4' x 7' platform
for somewhere under $1k used. I added a set of the scaffold casters
later for another $100 or so.

It's incredibly useful stuff. I've used it for:

- Video production camera platforms
- Event PA speaker platforms
- Rigging stage lighting
- Gutter and roofing work
- Wrapped in tarps for a weather enclosure over a well head for mid
winter pump replacement
- Strapped down in the bed of my pickup for tree trimming around the
yard
- One level strapped into the back of the pickup as a temporary ladder
rack to move a 32' extension ladder
- As a lifting gantry to hoist my china cabinet onto it's base
- Reworking / replacing suspended ceiling at a store
- As a stepped workbench to setup an aluminum anodizing line (buckets on
lower plank, power supply, timer, etc. on upper)
- As shelving in my shop, straddling two palettes, with a bunch of
Rubbermaid tubs stacked on the scaffolding

Pete C.