Posted to alt.home.repair
rank beginner rank beginner is offline

Default using hand tools to build a woodworking work bench instead of power tools

I need to build a workbench (my first one) and have been looking at
some plans on the net and have
found these that are for what looks to be a nice one:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...html?series=20

My question is: the plans say "If you don't have a power miter saw or
radial-arm saw, guide your circular
saw..."

Well, what if you don't have even a circular saw? I can't afford one
at this very moment, nonetheless need to
get building now, because I have other projects that need to get done
which themselves require a proper bench with vises. So I need to know
whether its feasible for me, someone just starting out (but with
mechanical aptitude), to attempt to use a regular hand saw for doing
the cross cuts on the construction-grade lumber (or maybe clear
hardwood, haven't decided yet). Or whether I should not even try. I'm
guessing getting straight cuts would be the major sticking point?? Or
is there something else to watch out for? Also, I only have a
traditional hand drill, no electric (yet). I figure this shouldn't be
a problem, the holes aren't huge and the plans call for ordinary lag
screws.

Thank you,

Chris