Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Sitting at the lathe.

In church, some of us kneel to pray, sit to learn and stand to praise
and for some, salvaging nature's trees can be a sort of religious
experience. Whatever, now all of us can sit and stand at the lathe. Two
out of three ain't bad. Actually, we do kneel to search for lost chuck
keys.

The Oneway 'sitting down" lathe has likely been considered ad nauseum on
other forums, but not here. We have however, discussed lathes for the
disabled on many past threads. The Oneway picture won't stay still long
enough for me to visualize it and think about it, but maybe my cognitive
challenge is a variation on Yogi's tv ad:
"If I don't have it, that's why I need it". Anyway, sitting down to
turn might have advantages for many of us who actually can stand at the
lathe.

Other than being able to sit, are there any advantages to mounting a
traditional lathe sideways? As I look at that jumping picture, I think
sideways removes one bed rail from in front of the turner, but I'm not
sure it does or if it helps. Have any of you mounted a regular bed
lathe sideways?

I did put a carbatec on an old style 'schoolboy desk' once. The kind
that the left arm extends from the seat into a small round desk top
slanted slightly upward. That was BSS&S (before spinal stenosis &
senility), so I didn't need to sit so much in those days and I didn't
use it enough to make a judgment.

Have any of you made a Japanese style turning set up with a flat table
bed instead of rails and an open space or slot below the head spindle
followed by a seat; all in one frame? (sorry for the poor description,
hope you "knowatImsa'n") What other variations on sitting down to turn
or unorthodox lathe mounting geometry have you made or thought about
making?

Mercifully, we will omit the drillpress set up (vertilathe) for now,
although I have turned wood on an Atlas horizontal mill.
I've seen pole lathes with a belt for the turner to lean back on while
he pedals. What are your variations? Did they work?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter