Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Best way to saw 4x4 posts?

"SnikkerJensen" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 9 Aug, 16:18, "Leon" wrote:
"Spyro" wrote in message

. ..

Hello fellow woodworkers

Im making a fence with 4x4 posts. Is it possible to saw them using a
handsaw with almost or perfect result?

What kind of handsaw do I need?

Yours Sincerely
Tom

Almost impossible if you cut the posts at the correct time. Don't cut
the
posts before putting them in the ground. Cut after you have them set and
would advise cutting with a circle saw.

Thank for replying. Im not going to plant the posts in the ground. I
have those metalpoles which Im going to fasten the posts in. I got a
tip of using my Dewalt 707 and cut half of it and then turn the post
and cut the rest. Think Im going to try that.

If you are going to attach the wood posts to the metal posts you may want
to wait to cut until they are exactly where they are going to end up. Then
you can use a level line or a measurement up from the ground or bottom rail
to determine the final height. Try not to commit yourself to a length until
every thing is in place.

With a square mark 3 lines on 3 sides of the post at the desired location.
with a circle saw cut through the first line full depth. Use the saw kerf
to guide the blade for the cut on the next side. Doing the same on the
third side, complete the cut.