Lennie the Lurker

Default 9" Southbend Headstock reworked

(brownnsharp) wrote in message . com...
need to make a bunch of measurements to make sure I have an aligned
spindle. And be wary of the fit when re-assembling the headstock. I
cannot imagine boring the two holes to great accuracy at the correct
height and parallel to the bed without considerable fixturing, such as
would be available at the factory, but not in the local machine shop.

Two measurements with a dial indicator across the spindle with the
pulley removed should give you a quick answer. one with the indicator
on the top of the spindle and another from the side. With the
indicator base on the carriage, it should tell you how close they are.
We have rebored headstocks in the shop, small ones on the Bridgeport
and bigger ones in the jig bore, it's not rocket science, indicate the
V in the headstock to vertical in both planes, and bore.