Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is this acceptable HVAC performance?

On Aug 8, 10:55 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
wrote in message

I just had a new HVAC system installed in a new house and have not paid

for
it yet. Today the temperature is 100 outside. I have my thermostat set

77 and the actual temperature is 81. (This is upstairs, downstairs a
separate system is maintaining the selected temperature.)

I am getting about a 20 degree drop. Is that acceptable or should the
system be doing better?

Thanks for any help!

What temperature is in the manual J calculations?

My answer is that if 90 to 100 deg days are not unusual in your area,
then I would not be satisfied. What happens as the temp drops later
in the day? On a 100 deg day, when does it finally reach 77?

I'd also look at your attic venting. Is it adequate? Are the soffit
vents open and not blocked with insulation? In areas with 100 deg
days, I would also install a radiant barrier on the underside of the
roof, which can help a lot. If you improve any of these, you will be
saving energy costs as well.