Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default OT monitor computer health

If I'm not mistaked, the original "used - tested good" evaluation came from
an ebay seller, so it all depends upon what his interpretation of good is.

Yours is a valid point, and I decided not to comment about the quality of
newer products in my last post.
When the original idea to buy a used motherboard, not absolutely Known to
have ever operated properly, came up a number of weeks ago, I thought it was
a poor choice for a machine controller.

I realize the value of older stuff, and I like using it myself whenever I
think it's practical. I built my first (286 8MHz) PC in 1992, and hadn't
bought a store computer until about a month ago.

The OP's present options are probably limited to changing out the CPU, ram,
video, PSU and then replace the motherboard. By then, there may be 2 CPUs of
unknown working order, and various other duplicate parts left over, that
might not be of any use on down the road.
Otherwise, it could be a wrong clock setting (overclock overheat), the
incorrect ram, or any one of tens of thousands of PN junctions somewhere in
the CPU or on the motherboard.

The OP would've had a much better chance of success if the doofus seller had
just left everything on the motherboard, but instead, he had stripped off
the removable components.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"clare at snyder.on.ca" wrote in message
news

Many new systems have hardware monitoring built in, but I have not
seen one with data logging.Could likely be done with a bit of patience
and a lot of knowlege in programming.

As for building a "reliable" machine from "used - tested good" parts,
you actually have a BETTER chance than with new parts. With
"experienced" parts you know that they at least worked ONCE - with the
new crap being sold today, there is a significant chance it both never
has, and never will, function(ed) properly.

I've built up a lot of systems with "Experienced" parts.