Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J T J T is offline

Default Wooden instrument cases designed to absorb moisture & preventrust

Wed, Aug 8, 2007, 10:25pm (EDT-3)
(LowEnergyParticle) doth qery:
Measuring tools and instruments often come in wooden cases. snip The
idea is that the case will absorb moisture from the tool and thereby
keep it from rusting. snip
I've cross-posted to our brethern over in rec.woodworking since they
have specialized knowledge of woods, as well as a shared deeply-held
hatred of rust on tools!

I've never heard the "wooden case keeps tool from rusting" story
before. My old man was a tool maker. According to him. micrometers,
etc., come in wooden cases to protect them from getting knocked out of
kilte. For rust protection he wiped his micrometers down before putting
them away.. His cases were lined with felt too, I would imagine they
still do that. If I recall right, the felt was slightly oily - but
whether intentionally, or simply from picking up wil from his mikes, I
have no idea. Same with his wooden tool chest.

Last time rec.woodworking got cross-posted to, in good faith, it
led to an invasion of trolls, that lasted for a considerable time.
Appreciate it if you just come over and post next time, rather than
cross-posting.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso