Harold & Susan Vordos

Default tramming a mini mill

"John Manders" wrote in message

"Wet Dog" wrote in message
left right is no brainer but in out or back and forth has got me
stumped.......shims is all i can think of but that can't be right
enlighten me please
thanks

For us Brits, what is tramming?

John,

You're question is valid, not only in the UK, but here in the States as
well. Tramming, as far as I know, is an archaic term that was applied to
the application of a tramming tool to time motion on steam locomotives and
other steam engines. How in hell it became the term for truing machinery
is a mystery to me. I've worked in the shop (commercially) since 1957 and
had never heard the term used. Only when I got online, talking with a huge
number of people that run machines for pleasure, did I hear the term used.
Everywhere I worked, dialing in, or sweeping, was the term used. I guess
it doesn't really matter what terminology is used so long as everyone is on
the same page. It appears in this instance that is not the case.

Sort of reminds me of how the word " swarf" is being used. If you buy a
new machine, if it's CNC and produces a lot of chips, they sell you a chip
removal system, not a swarf removal system. A lathe comes with a CHIP
pan, not a swarf pan. Swarf, by definition, is fine residue created by
abrasion or machining. Grinding machines create swarf, lathes and mills
create chips.

Harold