Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Is this acceptable HVAC performance?

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

I just had a new HVAC system installed in a new house and have not
paid for it yet. Today the temperature is 100 outside. I have my
thermostat set to 77 and the actual temperature is 81. (This is
upstairs, downstairs a separate system is maintaining the selected
temperature.)

I am getting about a 20 degree drop. Is that acceptable or should the
system be doing better?

Stick a thermometer in the vent. The A/C should be putting out air about

20

degrees cooler than the air that goes into the system (ambient). If you're
getting a 20-degree drop, it's as good as it gets.

You're assuming that a lot of things are correct.

20-degree drop doesn't mean jack ****.

It's not as bad as all that. It's not a definitive indicator of system
health, but it is in line with typical performance of typical healthy
systems.

In other words, you wouldn't expect to see a 5 degree difference or a
50 degree difference -- those would likely be an indication of something
not quite right, or some exceptional circumstance.

All rules of thumb are imperfect.