Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Oil Burners/Oil Tanks

wrote:

three years ago we had a brand-new oil burning furnace put in our
house & also had a above
ground oil tank installed. The problem is that when you start up the
furnace in the morning
during heating season(which is roughly October thru May in NJ),the oil
burner often will sound
like it's lost suction or on the verge of losing suction. It also
making an annoying clicking sound
as the oil is pumped through the pipes. The above-ground tank is
outside of the house & 25 ft.
from the oil burner. The pump must raise the oil 5 feet because the
pipes go through the ceiling.
My older brother & I believe that the oil tank should be moved closer
to the oil burner so that a
gravity feed could be used(through the floor). It has been recommended
that we should replace
the furnace. What should we do?

There are 2 pipes from the tank to burner?
Then it is a 2-pipe system and the pump should
not have any trouble lifting that distance.

There could be (tiny) air leaks at fittings, etc.
making trouble.

In the end though, you're correct that having the
lines in the ceiling (above burner level) can cause
problems with air entrapment.

If the tank/piping could be re-arranged without
too great an expense to avoid the ceiling entry, do that.

Replace the furnace? I don't think so...

Jim