Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Home Depot - Home Services Experiences

On Aug 7, 6:34 pm, Frank wrote:
I am strongly considering doing some major projects with Home Depot: new
roof, replacing exiting windows, and vinyl siding on a 2-story dormer.

My initial experience (home visit to provide estimate and timeline) has
been less than encouraging in that they sent out a gentlemen who was short
on details. He left with a list of questions to be answered and has
promised to get an estimate/timeline to me "soon".

I decided to check out Home Depot with the BBB Online which only told me
that they were a BIG organization with a number of compliants, many of
which they have addressed. So I thought a message to this group might be
more insigthful.

Has anyone had HD Home Services install windows? What window did they
install (the sales person was pushing model 6500 and 6100 which I can not
find on the HD website)? Based on your experience, would you use their
installation services again?

Also considering a new roof with Timberline 30 architectural shingles and
some vinyl siding. Apprciate any HD Home Services experiences that you are
willing to share.

TIA
Frank

With this housing slump there are plenty of skilled tradesmen willing
to work on time and materials instead of fixed bid. I did a new bath
in my home last month with the help of an "on the bench" union guy. I
paid him $30 an hour for 3 weeks and I came out way ahead on getting a
luxury bath over seeking a fixed bid, which would have been around
$15k to $20k for the same bath on fixed contract basis. I got a new
bath and he got to keep working, and I was able to help out and be
closely available for design questions/problems, it was a win-win. If
you dont know somebody in the trades currently on the bench, call a
local union and check out getting a worker on a time and material
basis, I couldn't be happier with the T/M arrangement I got. Fixed
bids often lock the bidder into situations where they will cut corners
on you to keep profit, or they will be unhappy with changes unseen
problems, etc. so they bid high and nobody is really that happy in the
end. With hourly basis wages and a dependable hard worker(s) you are
in control.