Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default One Tool, One Type of Turning, One Wood OR Keep Exploring?

"Toller" wrote in message

So my questions is:

How long did it take you to find The One type of turning
you do almost exclusively?

Gosh, I hope it takes forever! I would quit if I had to do the same thing
over and over again.

On the other hand, you can always sell a salad bowl or two to get a new
tool, while some things have limited appeal to buyers. Had a couple of
"thin" pieces that I had to weight at one show with the wind off the lake
which are a turner's tour de force, but nobody did anything more than remark
on the lightness and translucence. Couldn't figure a good use for them, I
guess. Same with some undercut natural edge pieces. Other turners and I
had some good chats on how to do them, but the buyers weren't there. Didn't
take long to earn my new Bosch 18V cordless assortment selling salad bowls,
though!

If all else fails, turn an ornament. Most creative type of turning, to my
way of thinking. No limitations on you because of the size of the wood, and
stem up, stem down, both up and down, with endless assortment of shapes in
between.