Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default metal color change

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need some advice.

I am taking stamped metal parts (nickel silver) and heating them up to
about 450 - 500 degrees. Many of them change color from a shiney
silver to a bluish color. This is the effect I want.

Lately, many of the parts are not changing color. When stamped, we
use a light coating of kerosene for die lube. Sometimes we run fairly
dry.

IS the color change a result of the light kerosene? Is it a function
of temperature? What can I do to ensure that all the parts turn
bluish?

Thank You,

Wayne

The color change is a function of temperature, in an air atmosphere. Each
oxide (there are several) forms at a different temperature. Some steel
alloys don't produce all oxides so they don't show all colors.

Clean surfaces are important for getting consistent colors. The oil could be
preventing the oxidation.

--
Ed Huntress