Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default OT - What Do Home Depot and Chrysler Have In Common?

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:06:07 -0700, Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

B A R R Y wrote:
Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
I spoke to some big-whigs at HD who implied fukn Nardelli left HD in
shambles.

The financial press pretty much made that clear.

Actually the stock price languished but gross sales and profits rose quite
substantially, the actually fiscal health of the company improved during his
tenure....does one properly fiscally judge a company by actual operations or
investor exuberance (subject to change on a whim)?

As a consumer one might rightfully complain about service, employees or
even his salary but consumers kept buying and HD made more money under his
leadership. Rod

HD didn't make more money from retail. His "leadership" lead to the
increasing competitiveness of Lowe's in geographical areas where HD
originally had a complete lock-in on retail sales. HD stock peaked about
the middle of 2004 and hasn't really gone anywhere since - actually a
slight downward trend is present. So cosumers probably quit buying in the
raw numbers that HD once saw. Their costumer support became characterized
by willing (well sometimes) but ignorant lots who specialized in blank
looks and ignorance.

RIDGID, BTW, is generally associated with HD, but talking to their support
leads to the conclusion that they wish they weren't. I need ed a new set
if knives for my 13-inch plainer and ultimately had to go through a phone
call to RIDGID support because the new numb-nuts approach to special orders
and support at HD resulted in nothing but exclamations of ignorance. I
would not be surprised to see RIDGID looking for some new distribution
channels if HD stays the present course.