Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default electrolytic derusting - a figure for current density

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:33:07 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I derusted the inside of a welding water cooler tube last night. I used
an uncoated carbon arc gouging rod, maybe 3/8" diameter, insulated in
two places by multiply wrapped rubber bands, for an anode. Worked just
great, tube came out fine. I ran about 4 amps. The tube is about 8-10"
long, and about 1" ID. That works out to 125-150 milliamperes per
square inch. I figure that's a pretty good place to start when figuring
out how much of a power supply one will need to electrolytically derust
an item.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Thanks for the info Grant. I've been saving/archiving all of
these little tidbits of information concerning derusting.
Yours is one of the first to suggest some specific amperage
values based on square inches that I recall.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b