Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

Default how to replace a fitted gas oven

"jives11" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 8 Aug, 10:27, David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 00:03:35 -0700 someone who may be jives11
wrote this:-

2) If we replace with an electric one, then same as above but I also
need an electrician to run a new mains spur for the new oven, and the
gas fitter caps off the existing supply

As has been said, it may well be possible to connect an electric
oven to an existing power circuit, though that depends on the rating
of the oven, the capacity of the circuit and how heavily it is
loaded. If all these are suitable then that will generally be the
cheapest option, though not one I would adopt if doing it myself.

If that is not possible then it is as well to provide a proper
cooker supply of 30A-45A. The cable and fittings will be more
expensive, but the labour is the same compared to a lower rated
supply. This will allow future flexibility in provision of hobs. I
am assuming that the oven and hob are reasonably close together,
within 4m of each other.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

many thanks to all the input. I think the main issue is that the width
on the cavity in the current unit is 570mm and not 600 (this is from
the late 70's)

Modern cabinets are 600m external dimension so that a 600mm door covers the
edges, the internal dimension is therefore 570mm the difference being 2 x
15mm sides

And as I said previously the oven dimension given may include the width of
the fascia which would overlap the carcass sides. All built in ovens should
fit fine in a 570mm wide cavity

Tony