Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Carburising flame vs Kasenite

IIRC it takes a while to get the carbon into the part. We used to put
about a 0.020 case on millions of bolts and it took about 1 1/2 hours in
a furnace with a high carbon atmosphere, I think. I doubt if you'd do
much good with the torch because you'd still be oxidixing the part as
you go. Read the label on the Kasenite.
All you can do is to get a 20 thou or so case on the part. That
isn't what you need for the chuck key. You have chosen about the
softest steel one can find. I'd suspect that the problem will be
twisting the business end anyway and the case won't help much if you do
get it.

Pete Stanaitis

Wes wrote:
I made a double ended chuck key to fit both of my chucks a few minutes ago
and I'd like to case harden the square drive ends. The steel I used is
12L14 because that is what I had on hand.

I have some new formulation Kasenite and access to an OA torch. I understand
a carburizing flame can harden mild steel and of course so can Kasenite.

Which would be the better choice?

Thanks,

Wes