Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Richard J Kinch Richard J Kinch is offline

Default Yellow Jackets in the Eaves!

Al Bundy writes:

The queen hibernates to survive over the
winter and starts a new colony in the spring.

Where? In the nest in the attic? If that's the case will she croak if
all the exits are blocked in the spring?

I'm no entomologist, but having once found a hibernating queen hiding in
the winter cold of an empty file cabinet drawer in a detached garage in
upstate New York, I suspect that they leave the dying or dead nest and look
for an isolated and protected spot. I know that the nest is rich food for
things like scavenging skunks. The dead nest would seem to be a risky
place to bed down for a long winter's nap, as it would be easily found and
scavenged to bits.

On another occasion I accidentally hauled out a live yellow jacket nest
from its protection in some rotting lumber, and left it in a bit of a
panic. Returning for a look after dark, I discovered -- ugh -- a skunk had
found the nest and was feasting upon the tender larvae, with an occasional
jump as he was getting constantly stung. Ouch! Yum! Ouch! Yum! Something
ironic in attracting a new pest while trying to dispatch another.