Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R Brooks David R Brooks is offline

Default Taper tolerances

Karl Townsend wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

My son just showed me the official engineering symbol for this. Make two
large UU connected together. Then put an arrow through it ---. The term
is
called, "dead nuts", VBG

I never learned that symbol in colledge

"The Kid" had to explain it to me. The UU is your nutsac. the arrow killed
it. Hence, "Dead Nuts". He designs all the fixtures for production CNC
machining after writing the programs at his company. When he wants the
fixture craftsman to pay special attention to this detail, he includes the
symbol. Its guaranteed to get a call from the shop and then a laugh. Plus
that detail gets made just right.

Had a similar experience concerning electronics PCB assembly, many years
ago - before that went to China. Production kept putting a certain
transistor in the board backwards. Inspectors rejected, boards were
reworked, & more bad boards kept coming out.
Finally, the inspector wrote on the reject slip, "TR44 AAF". Nothing more.
No-one in production had ever seen "AAF" before. Not the foreman, not
the manager, not the ...
So finally, they had to ask the inspector himself (in a different
section, naturally). Translation: "AAF" = "A**e About Face". Much
hilarity all round, & the point finally sank in.