Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK RichK is offline

Default Chimney repair

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet

Chimney guy coated the mortar around ceramic pipes on my chimney with a
mortar mix which I think contained acrylic binder.

I had "my guy" leave a gap between the "ceramic pipes" (flues) to prvent
cap/crown cracking. He also mixed acrylic binder with water 1:1. This did
not prevent the cap from cracking in only a week.

This senior no longer climbs on his roof but if I were younger could have

DIY.

I can still climb and found what some website claim, that 90% of the
chimneys are fixed with the wrong mortar. Those same sites do not suggest
the RIGHT mortar, just try to sell you stuff to smear on top of bad fix job.
Even contacted one of them for a suggestion on the right way and only answer
I got is to buy the goop.

RichK