Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade Andy Wade is offline

Default bathroom fan, FCU / isolator location

Andy Hall wrote:

*Bog* standard?
(anyway, moving right along)....

Moving along at a tangent, the OED is interesting on the origins of
"bog-standard" which it dates to 1968:

"Ordinary, basic, standard; without extra features or modification;
unexceptional or uninspired. Cf. BOX-STANDARD adj.

"[Origin uncertain; perh. an alteration of BOX-STANDARD adj. (although
this is first attested later), after BOG n.4

"Differing theories of the origin of bog-standard have been proposed,
but none proven. An immediate association with BOG n.1 seems unlikely on
semantic grounds. The most commonly held view is that the transition
from box to bog resulted from a mishearing or misunderstanding of
BOX-STANDARD n.

"Others have suggested a derivation bog-wheel, former Cambridge slang
for a bicycle, though ultimately also related to BOG n.4: see P. Beale
Conc. Dict. Slang (1989) 47/2, 48/1."

(Where BOG n.1 is the wet spongy ground meaning and BOG n.4 is the privy
meaning.)

Anyway, I digress...

The panel is removable for servicing the fan. I'm debating whether
to fit the fan isolating switch along with some other switches and
outlets that are in a cupboard below the panel, or to fit in next to the
fan in the void behind the panel.

Since the panel has to be removed to access the fan, it occurs to me
that it's reasonable to put the switch there, next to the fan.
Actually it simplifies wiring because I don't then need to run the six
singles for it in the conduit.

I can't see any regulatory objection for either method, but do you have
nay thoughts?

"Nay thoughts" ...? It's preferable I think to be able to isolate the
fan before attempting to remove the panel (if only because someone
removing it for the first time doesn't know what they're going to find
behind it). But will the switch be readily accessible if it's in the
cupboard? Difficult to say much more really, without knowledge of all
the details. There's no requirement for emergency switching, so both
ways ought to be acceptable under BS 7671 if competently executed.
Discreet labelling might help - or not, depending on the circumstances...

--
Andy