Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
PinkFloyd43 PinkFloyd43 is offline

Default ThinkPad finally shipped...

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
qrk wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:39:40 -0400, Chuck Harris
wrote:

JosephKK wrote:
Vladimir Vassilevsky posted to
Agreed. Actually, I am a bit surprised of a complete computer
illiteracy demonstrated by so many otherwise seemingly good
engineers here.

VLV
Disgustedly, i find i have to agree with your amplification.
Perhaps, but you should be heartened by the high number of computer
fluent engineers that are on this group too. And the high number
of computer fluent non engineers.

In my experience, fluency is often an age thing. If you were born
before the mid 1950's, you are likely to be uncomfortable with
computers because they weren't easily available when your mind was
young and agile.

-Chuck

I've come a few "Windows" programmers who couldn't write a simple
command line batch file. They never had the joy of mucking with DOS.
Of course, they find it novel that one would use an .ini file instead
of the registry.

And I've seen Windows programmers (written up in magazines like Dr
Dobbs, no less), 'explain' some complex data structure or algorithm by
doing nothing more than writing a GUI on top of Microsoft's API
implementing it.

The beast from Redmond is spawning a generation of people who don't know
and don't care how stuff actually works.

Actually many years ago professionals stopped using .ini files for a
myriad of reasons. And BTW, writing a GUI on top of an existing API is
pretty much how ALL software is written! Microsoft Explorer, Copy Files,
etc is a pretty GUI using the basic I/O system API's.