Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bill Bill is offline

Default (Q:) Switched light on load side of GFCI outlet

Cost: In general GFI circuits are more expensive. Non GFI circuits less
expensive. If say in a new building you combined non GFI circuits onto GFI
circuits and therefore had to add more GFI circuits to handle the load, then
you would be running up the cost.

So from a cost point of view, not cost effective.

Then amperage availability: Might want to use the outlet in the bathroom for
a space heater or hair dryer which would use a lot of amperage. Good to not
have anything else on the circuit and save all the amperage for these
things.

Good design: As someone else noted, it is a good idea to have lighting on a
separate circuit. Then if outlet trips GFI or breaker, you still have
lighting.

wrote in message
I've wired quite a few GFCI outlet but always as a string of
outlets. We recently put in a bathroom, and I ran a new 20 amp
grounded circuit.

I've done a lot of research on GFCI yet I am unclear if I can add a
switched light on the load side of a GFCI outlet?

I initially thought that I would have to pigtail the line side with
separate wires going to the line side of the GFCI and the other set
feeding the switch. Looking at the GFCI concept, the light is still a
load and given this light in total is no more than 150 watts, it seems
as if this should not be an issue.

Am I correct?