Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default (Q:) Switched light on load side of GFCI outlet

wrote in message
ps.com...
I've wired quite a few GFCI outlet but always as a string of
outlets. We recently put in a bathroom, and I ran a new 20 amp
grounded circuit.

I've done a lot of research on GFCI yet I am unclear if I can add a
switched light on the load side of a GFCI outlet?

I initially thought that I would have to pigtail the line side with
separate wires going to the line side of the GFCI and the other set
feeding the switch. Looking at the GFCI concept, the light is still a
load and given this light in total is no more than 150 watts, it seems
as if this should not be an issue.

Am I correct?

If the 20 amp circuit is only used for that particular bathroom, then you
can use it for lighting. You can put the lighting on the load side of the
GFI however I prefer not to do this. If the GFI trips, you will be without
lights. If you need a GFI for a light or fan over the shower, I would
suggest a separate GFI.