Posted to rec.woodworking
Renata Renata is offline

Default What's up with the new 3/4 HP Delta drill press? Is it available?

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 03:24:27 -0000, TSW632 wrote:

On Jul 15, 12:26 pm, gka wrote:
Should I wait for the 959LDeltadrillpress? I heard that it was due
at retailers in March and they haven't seen it yet. What's the problem?

-Gary

I ordered the 20-959LX on Amazon in March. After repeated notes from
Amazon about delayed availability, with dates that conflict with what
Delta has on their own website, I requested clarification from Delta.
Here is the response I received today (a disappointment, having
already unloaded my previous drill press):

Thank you for your interest in Delta Machinery.
Due to the fact that this is our first entry into the digital world on
our equipment and we put all of our products through very stringent
testing in order to insure the best precision and quality.

Let me interrupt here.
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! HEEHEEHEEHEEHEE!!!
You know, ROTFLMAO.

Well, ok, maybe they're (trying) to turn over a new leaf.
'Cause they can't get much worse.

As some know...
Bought the 17-990X fancy schmantzy, sooper dooper drill press. And,
it can't drill a straight hole. May be fixed (Skarie replaced head) -
haven't thoroughly tested it yet. Delta service wasn't too hot either
("it's normal" to have that much runout, doncha know).

While I just bought a used DJ20, I'm gonna be awful slow in getting
any new Delta.

Renata

We were
having some repeatability issues on the digital depth readout. We
expect this product to perform several thousand accurate digital
readings over the life of the product without needing any adjustments.
In order to achieve this standard, we are looking into some design
changes to get better accuracy and repeatability. This is why the due
date has been pushed out until next March.

Regards,
End User Services